git push is failed due to RPC failure (result=56)

We got a strange error while pushing a large set of changes via git. “git push” command hangs after having such an error.

$ git push origin master
Counting objects: 6571, done.
Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (5583/5583), done.
error: RPC failed; result=56, HTTP code = 0
Writing objects: 100% (6570/6570), 11.73 MiB | 3.35 MiB/s, done.
Total 6570 (delta 1893), reused 0 (delta 0)

We had to kill the process from command line. The same problem is also reported in github support too.

I found the solution in codaset ticket #723.

The problem is most likely because your git buffer is too low.

You will need to increase Git’s HTTP buffer by setting the git config var “http.postBuffer” to 524288000.

git config http.postBuffer 524288000

The buffer is too low to submit all the changes to remote git repository. We increased the HTTP buffer and we get the following successful result after pushing the changes.

$ git push origin master
Counting objects: 6571, done.
Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (5583/5583), done.
Writing objects: 100% (6570/6570), 11.68 MiB | 3.55 MiB/s, done.
Total 6570 (delta 1892), reused 0 (delta 0)

It’s obvious that git should have given more information when RPC call is failed. Result=56 has no meaning to the users like me;)

About these ads
Tagged ,

8 thoughts on “git push is failed due to RPC failure (result=56)

1. Hasan says:

What is this buffer used for? İ don’t know. And İ don’t care. İ think, this property has to be transparent to the user.

• Dan Bolser says:

Word! I just added a ton of files and now I’m pushing… it makes no sense that this would have worked if I’d added the files one at a time… Am I going to have problems checking out this repo from now on? All because of the way I checked it in?

Bah!

2. floravista says:

Thank you very much, I ran into the same issue and it resolved by your help.

3. hamzahik says:

Thank you very much, this helped me a lot !

4. MishaKatkov says:

Thanks a lot. It is very helpfull issue

5. Tamal Sen says:

Worked for me too

6. […] Thanks to:  http://flyingtomoon.com/2011/04/12/git-push-is-failed-due-to-rpc-failure-result56/ […]